Thursday, September 29, 2011

To stand in your arms without falling to your feet.

It's been over a week since my grandma passed away. It's still surreal...still too fresh. Last Tuesday, I stayed late at the salon because Danielle needed to get her hair cut. Afterwards, we had planned on grabbing some dinner somewhere in Rocky Mount, but we decided to head straight to WakeMed and eat somewhere in Raleigh after we visited. We walk into grandma's room and my mom, dad, and Chris are there. No one says anything when we walk in, so I go straight to grandma and tell her hi. My mom looks up and says, "This is it." I stare in disbelief as she takes two more haggard breaths, then her face relaxes and she's gone. It was so quick...I was unprepared. Chris breaks down in tears...my mom quietly goes into the connecting bathroom. I cry silently and stunned while first Ricky, then Danielle, hugs me. My mom comes back and rings for a nurse. We call the family, who are all in Nashville. I tell Danielle that we'll walk her to her car...we will have to reschedule. As we're walking back through the hospital we meet Adam, who begins to cry. We say goodbye to Danny, then I ask Ricky to sit with me on a bench outside. I cry for a bit, his arms wrapped around me. We finally go back inside and wait for the rest of the family to get there. Seeing my grandpa cry was terrible, but they were tears of relief, I think. The past couple of months have been incredibly hard on him. This is all I can write for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment